(Now taking clients! Contact me for details.)
Below is a document I originally created (and have since edited) for a class focused on grammar and copyediting. I have extracted the main two editing pieces separately below, but I have the philosophy up still, as it was an important moment in my editing career.
Below are handwritten proofreading marks on a reference page. Citation copyediting requires meticulous and careful attention. I enjoyed it for that element as well as the challenge of keeping everything neat and readable.
For a Grammar & Rhetoric course, we were asked to copyedit a classmate's paper and send them a memorandum as if they were a client of ours. On the left is the first round of edits to "Hell," an essay deconstructing the origins of the word and its linguistic impact. Interacting with the author of a piece so personally was a unique experience, and helped establish the importance of tactically editing and giving feedback to authors. Beyond the copyediting experience itself, the assignment drew attention to working well with the author, which I had not yet thought about in a tangible way.
COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY FOR FUNDERS AND DONORS
At the end of a course titled Writing Research Communities, the class was split into different groups to give communications strategy recommendations for various aspects of the organization. My group did Fundraisers & Donors, so the recommendations and goals that we set are centered on bolstering donations for the non-profit Friends of the Red Cedar River (FRCR).
To do this project, we used skills developed earlier in the class; we intensely researched non-profits of our choice to analyze their various communications (e.g. annual reports, social media, website information, etc.) to see what was effective and what left something to be desired. Moving forward with this knowledge as well as analyzing the audience at hand, we put together a few communications goals.
Alongside the goals is an extensive list of various types of needs and a specific plan laid out to best accomplish said goals to make them attainable and time-sensitive. The final element to this project was presenting in a slideshow format, where our audience was the non-profit for whom we were working.